Today, Jane and I had a special girly day. Sigh. I LERVE special girly days. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked that my daughter is turning out to be a jock. But give me drinks with umbrellas and glitter on my toenails any day, and I'll be happy.
THINGS THAT MADE TODAY TOTALLY AWESOME:
1. My friend Lix (that's her nickname) called from Basel, Switzerland while I was finishing my coffee, and made me laugh, like she always does. Hi, Lix!
2. I had printed out two coupons that entitled Jane and I to be encased in hot oil and wax from head to toe, draped in organic seaweed, buffed to a high shine, and decorated with flowers, all for the low, low price of $29. I might be lying about the seaweed, but JUST the seaweed.
3. The pedicure chairs were massage thrones, and four gals gave our calluses a sound thrashing while we talked and talked and talked some more. A butch-looking guy across the room was getting his toes painted red and smiling from ear to ear. My sentiments exactly.
4. Feeling super-naughty, I called Jarrah's preschool and asked if she could stay for "after care" today. Per usual, the director responded "Not a problem."
5. With our toenails sparkling in the sun, we headed for the Nordstrom Cafe, where we ordered one of everything on the menu and talked and talked and talked some more.
6. Still sparkling and now pleasantly full, we felt up some Nordstrom couture and made each other guess how much. (One sundress was $4,000! I'm no longer comfortable buying anything that isn't from Target.)
7. At Sephora, we tried: mascara with names like Skyscraper and Bad Gal, super-cool blush that goes on like deoderant, and white eyeshadow (just call me "eye-curious") while being treated like fancy ladies (weekdays at Sephora must be slow.) By the time we left, I had one white eye, one rose-coated hand, and a new eyelash curler.
8. See's Candies gives you a free piece just for walking in the door. And we only wanted one piece.
9. Have I mentioned there was a lot of talking?
10. When we picked up Jarrah, she asked Jane to visit the "jungle" with her (a fenced-off pile of dirt behind some bushes where I think they're putting in a new water main) and pointed out where all the animals live, including the "hippy-pom-uh."
Readers, what do you do on your special girly days?