Sunday, July 01, 2012

Day #1: And We're Off

So, it's been a long time since I've gone to such lengths...but I haven't been keeping up with this blog so I need a small kick in the arse.

I'm going for it--doing NaBloPoMo for July.  The theme is "KIDS."

I have a bit of a head start because I found a whole list of prompt questions, one for every single weekday of the the quest.  Some of them don't make much sense to me, but I can always improvise on those days.

Since today is a weekend, I'm on my own.  I just spent the afternoon with a kid, though--my friend Julianna, age 13.  I think I got a skewed view of budding teenager-ness because the best part of the day for her was when I took her to Warwick's, an independent bookshop in La Jolla, and she could curl up on the floor with a stack of hardcovers from her various series.  AND she ordered the mini instead of the full-size cupcake.  Say what???

My own kid is having a playdate with her friend, Hope, no doubt involving swimming and the zombie apocalypse.  She just finished two weeks of camp, the first in Mountaineering at the Solid Rock Gym, and the second at Ultrazone, a laser tag facility.  When she asked to sign up for laser tag camp, I said "Sure!  In the interest of full disclosure, you will probably be the only girl.  You okay with that?" and she was like "Why is that relevant?"  Which is how you know she's just cooler than I ever was.

Summer has begun with the usual long to-do list that has been thrust under the rug all year:  replaced my cracked radiator, filled my (three) cracked teeth, felt like I was cracked in the head after sifting through the vast piles of trash in Jarrah's room to create something that looks like order in there.  Ah, summer, how sweet the jasmine blowin' in my mind.

I am also deep into my Pippin rehearsals, having a blast, and hoping not to be fired for violently body-checking all nearby dancers because I am the slowest person in the world to pick up choreography.  As if four-part harmony wasn't hard enough, now I'm having to fan kick myself to a half-split from a fully prone position and that's just in the first song.  Hopefully, I won't disgrace anyone.  Just got my first-ever pair of jazz shoes and they're freakishly comfortable.  When I put them on, I said "I could have danced all night, and still have begged for more!"  Yep, THAT comfortable.

Alright, let's do this thing.  Tune in tomorrow when I begin to answer some pressing bloggy questions that you've always wondered about.  Truly.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You can fan kick yourself to a half-split from a fully prone position? !!! This is me bowing down before you (also very slow on the picking up choreography thing).

Jarrah's camps sound super fun, too!!!!