Last night was our final Moliere rehearsal, at a smoldering hot park in OB with many, many screaming children about 10 feet away. People kept saying optimistically that there won't be screaming children during our show, but how do they know that? I am missing our waterfront palace at Shelter Island, but I know it will be fun to try something new. (I'll just keep repeating that.) Because I am an idiot, there is already a heavy doorjamb on my heart because we have two more shows and then we are done. Who gets that way when the thing hasn't even ended? I do. Because I'm an idiot.
The night itself, however, was perfectly divine. Well, not perfectly (see below.) Last year, I did NaBloPoMo and made lists for 31 days. I think I'm going to turn this post into a list.
What I Learned In And About OB Last Night
1. If you are given a little slip of paper with the instructions "you have sticks in your shoes, and your feet are killing you" (your director likes to have fun) you won't even need to act if the park is covered with teeny-tiny acorn-like nuts and you are in bare feet. And everyone will just ask "Did you need to pee?" anyway.
2. There is a way in which my hair will grow higher and frizzier than proximity to the ocean. Proximity to the ocean plus 89 percent humidity. That does the trick of making me look like Lily Munster quite handily.
3. If you want a burger, you could wait in the 8-hour line at Hodad's. But the place across the street is tasty and has no line.
4. There are a lot of "tweakers" in OB, and people smoking weed out of teapots. They are fine.
5. Don't go in the ocean. Still not sure why, but that's what I was told.
6. The pier is very long. Maybe 8 miles long, I'm not sure. If you walk to the very end, you see that at least 50 percent of its population is under three. Many of this set have their own fishing poles.
7. People fish with glow sticks, but not the ones from the dollar store. Expensive ones.
8. There are rats on the beach. RATS. The size of mongooses. (Mongeese?) They run to and fro with no discernible reason for being there. What do rats need with sand?
9. If you walk several miles, ice cream tastes even better. But if it's served in a shop that's like 110 degrees, it melts. FAST.
10. Sometimes men who don't even seem drunk will try to talk to you with no encouragement (and a fair amount of discouragement.)
11. The lyrics to "Beauty and The Beast" are kind of naughty. Who knew?
12. People will ask you for cigarettes--a lot--and get sort of miffed if you say you don't smoke, like you are inconveniencing them and should just start already.
13. Rats, tweakers, drunks, skateboarders, sand, oceans, piers and everybody look extra-extra beautiful under a full moon in OB. Especially in OB.