Thursday, September 25, 2008

Gazing in the Mirror...and Cracking Up

I was searching for something about blog statistics (don’t ask me what; I’ve told you I have the short-term memory of a goldfish) and found this:

Researchers for the Oxford English Dictionary claimed in 2007 that "the 15 most frequently used words in the blogosphere (presumably the Anglo part of the blogosphere) are:”

blogger
blog
stupid
me
myself
my
oh
yeah
ok
post
stuff
lovely
update
nice
[four letter word beginning with s]

I love it! My favorite part is the popularity of “lovely.” I know I use that word several times in each post, and find myself particularly adorable while I’m doing it. Clearly, I’m not alone!

I also laughed about “update” and “stuff.” I get a lot of mileage out of those, and I have experienced vague twinges of discomfort as I do so, sensing that I’m galumphing into the Lazy Woman’s blogging realm.

I’m a bit smug, however, that I don’t think I say “stupid” very much. Mind you, I find a lot of things to be stupid, but I force myself to find other words for these feelings as a rule.

How about you, Readers? Do you see yourself in this list?

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh yeah....I see a lot of things I say. Update is one of them....I'm always talking about putting updated pictures on my blog. I don't seem to get around to it often enough though. I don't use stupid too much either. I guess it's the kindergarten teacher in me. :)

Heather - The Wanna-be Super Mom said...

Crazy was not on the list. I question my own sanity, and whether or not I am in fact crazy quite often on my blog. I thought my use of the word ALONE would have made it a contender!

Laural Out Loud said...

I try to write like I speak, so a lot of those words appear often on my blog. Especially lovely. I love to use that to express my disatisfaction, lol.

The Wades said...

Being a blogger and updating my blog daily, I must admit I'm a little stupid in my posts. Oh sure, i post stuff that can be pretty lovely, but most of the time I update my blog with stuff that is just kinda weird, but sometimes nice.

(Honestly, I think the only one I don't use is stupid.) I can't help it--I'm simple.

Samantha said...

Michelle, you really made me laugh with that one. ;) You are nice and lovely and not a bit stupid. ;)

Anonymous said...

Not being a blogger & so not having a blog of my own, I sometimes, myself, feel stupid, which is really an attitude that needs an update. Oh, OK, I read Sam's lovely posts--always filled with such nice stuff!!--

Anonymous said...

[I beg everyone's pardon for hitting "Publish" too quickly before I was done; Sam please delete, um, I mean, update my first attempt, my friend]

Not being a blogger & so not having a blog of my own, I sometimes, myself, feel stupid, which is really an attitude that needs an update. Oh, OK, I read Sam's lovely posts--always filled with such nice stuff!!--knowing that my posts about me, me, me just wouldn't be as entertaining.

Yeah, I think I'd be complete s*#t at blog-writing.

;)

Tee

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam, have you ever run http://www.tagcrowd.com on your blog? You can give it your URL, and it will create a tag cloud, in which where biggest fonts indicate the words you use the most. Cool service. The word I use the most in my blog is really. Really! :) Natalie