Thursday, April 15, 2010

Vegas, Baby

It's been a while. And a long week, though only Thursday. David returned last night from his annual Vegas pilgrimage to NAB, which I never mention on the blog because of my whole serial killer theory--I won't go into it again. It always feels doubly hard that I can't whine about his absence while he's actually gone, which is when I'm plunged into a blue state (not California, but loneliness.)

He's back now, and was the belle of the ball, as usual. But don't take my word for it. These people interviewed him about the future of 3-D cinema, and while I can hardly understand a word, I find him incredibly adorable as well as unintelligible. And if you're more of a tech-head than I am, you might actually understand what he's saying instead of just marveling at the many ways he's able to use the word "channel" in a sentence.

freshdv_nab10_cineform

Me, I've been sleepwalking through the week. Part of that is my fault, since I threw a dinner party the night David left and didn't go to sleep until 4:00 a.m. Since my nanny and house staff were maddeningly MIA, I also had to rise at 7:30 to get Jarrah ready for school, which included preparations for Jarrah's Special Spider Day, the parameters of which were fuzzy to me (ha!) but necessitated printouts of an Australian Huntsman spider (one of whose ilk jumped into my cleavage when I was visiting that fair land--she totally forgot to tell the class that crucial detail) and a vibrating toy spider with glowing red eyes that sings "Witch Doctor" in a basso profundo which burrows into your brain for the rest of the day.

The next night I hoped to snooze stone-like for eight hours, but instead I answered the 3 a.m. call of "Mommy!" shot like a rocket from my cozy bed. Per usual, it was a "my covers have fallen off" kind of emergency, the perpetrator of which was asleep again before they'd even been replaced, after which I lay awake for the rest of the night thinking "Oooh, it's the middle of the night. And I'm alone. I should go back to sleep now. Okay, now. NOW. How about now? No?"

So Tuesday I was pretty much a zombie all day and then had rehearsal at the end of it. I am not feeling good about my performance at the moment. I am way up in my head and getting more embedded there with each passing day, to the point where my director has given up offering suggestions and started shouting things like, "Say it like THIS!" He also suggested that I might move around the stage like I have some business there instead of just rocking back and forth like Rainman. Well, maybe he didn't say that exactly, but I can take a hint.

Tired as I was, there were some highlights. I enjoyed cooking (and eating) dinner with friends Sunday night (and a big shout-out to Steph for taking J. to the park while I cleaned.) And meeting Mary and Joy for shopping and dinner Monday night. Late-night phone chats with my friend Bryan, which reminded me of my single days--he still makes me laugh like crazy. And Wednesday, Jarrah and I had our Fourth Annual NAB Girls Night with Grace and Julianna, which always includes take-out Chinese and angel cake with strawberries, but had a fabulous new addition this year: Smoke-Free Dance Party in our living room to the soundtrack from Glee. Whee!

And I can't go without mentioning how David's annual absence has a way of throwing into relief just how much Jarrah has grown and matured. That first year, I was terrified to be alone with her and her myriad and arbitrary needs and near-constant diaper fiascos. This year, she was in school each morning, and the rest of the time was quite agreeable and fun. We had one small skirmish over a bikini she convinced me to buy her at Sears (very modest--I'm not a big believer in kiddie bikinis) which seems too small to me and I want to return it. I explained that I'd get another size, but it's possible J. did not hear me over her constant shrieking that I "cut the tags off right now! You promised!" The kid has a thing for swimwear.

9 comments:

Logical Libby said...

"Special" spider day? Do they have an "average" spider day as well.

And your husband is hot. At least for someone who works in media.

Samantha said...

Why, thank you, Libby. :) His hotness does overshadow his nerdiness sometimes. ;)

And you are sharp: it was not actually called Jarrah's Special Spider Day, just Jarrah's Spider Day (indicated with a sign on the door.) But Jarrah kept calling it "my special day" and I elided in my exhaustion. :)

The Wades said...

I just watched all 12:51 of his interview. WOW!! The man is brilliant! What a cutie pie, smarty pants. Although I didn't know much what he was talking about, I still found it interesting. Crazy about the 3D glasses causing strain because of the lack of light coming in. Who knew? I will forever think of him when I watch movies in 3D.

Rainman comment cracked me up.

Joan said...

Delighted the 'witch doctor' spider proved to be useful. Great to see David in 'full flow'.

Mrs. Chapman's 2nd Grade Class said...

I have a thing for swimwear too. But, it's not like Jarrah's thing. Mine has more to do with the fact that I can't find swimwear I like. Which could have something to do with the fact that I don't like how my body looks in said swimwear. Which may or may not have something to do with the weight I've gained in the 2.5 years I've been married. So I say if your daughter finds swimwear she likes, take those darn tags off. :)

I'm kidding of course...well only about taking the tags off. Unfortunately not all the rest of it.

katydidnot said...

Who is this Steph and where can one find her? Because I need someone to take my kids to the park so I can nap. Er...clean.

Samantha said...

@Michelle: I love that you watched it all! :)

@Joan: Yes, and then it had to be re-banished to the top of the closet immediately. ;)

@Jennifer: Seriously, I love that she automatically thinks she looks fantastic in all swimsuits. I hope that feeling lasts!

@Katydidnot: Sorry, she's mine. :)

Anonymous said...

Funny -- I am so with you on all of this! Wish I could have come by with some chinese takeout and helped out... too bad I live like 20 timezones away now. :( Lix

Mary said...

Wow! Quite an interview! He really lights up when he talks tech!

oxox

Mary