Monday, April 12, 2010

My Morbid Child

In the car tonight, listening to Frankie Valli's "Oh, What A Night," one of the few radio songs Jarrah recognizes:

Jarrah: Mommy? What happened to her?

Sam: What happened to who, sweetheart?

Jarrah: In the song. Who he's singing about.

Sam: Oh. Hmmm...

Jarrah: Where'd she go?

Sam: Um, I'm not sure. He's just remembering the night they met and had a great time...dancing. And talking. And it was really fun for him, but for some reason he never saw her again.

Jarrah: Where'd she go?

Sam: Oh, well, I think maybe they just didn't keep in touch. Or she might have moved away. Yes, I'm pretty sure she moved away.

Jarrah: No.

Sam: No?

Jarrah: That's not what happened. I think she died.

Sam: Oh, I don't think so. It's a happy song.

6 comments:

Logical Libby said...

Wait until she hears "Teen Angel."

erin said...

Olivia is super morbid too. The other day she told Jeremiah that 'Remember, you have no grandma's now? They're both dead!' in response to him saying that his grandma was the best cook in the world.

Now I have teen angel stuck in my head. Thanks Libby.

Mrs. Chapman's 2nd Grade Class said...

It's the age. I have a little boy in my kindergarten class that talks about ways people die every day. No matter what we are talking about he brings the topic of death into it. You can just imagine how much fun he had when learning about weather...tornados in particular. ha!

Stephanie said...

So glad my kid is not the only one! Daily discussions of death are bringin' me down!

Jen said...

Such schadenfreude! Sage has it, too. She also likes to make up stories about how she wanders off and we can't find her. That totally freaks me out.

katydidnot said...

I'm pretty sure she's right.