Saturday, April 24, 2010

Please Don't Judge

Conversation at the strawberry fields last week, as we alighted from the car into the dirt parking lot:

Jarrah: Look! (pointing at a dark circle in the dirt) It rained in only one spot!

Sam: Or someone pissed right there.

Jarrah: What's a pist?

************

This morning when I dragged myself out of bed, Jarrah was eating some cinnamon toast in front of the telly (Thank you, David!) Next to her plate was my copy of The Selected Poems of Frank O'Hara, an arty paperback with a line drawing of a naked man on the cover. I'm talking a tasteful reprint of a Leonardo da Vinci, something of that ilk.

Sam: Whatcha doing with my book?

Jarrah: (slyly) Looking at it.

Sam: Why?

Jarrah: (holding it up) Look. He's naked.

Sam: Yeah...so?

Jarrah: I like looking at him.

Sam: (turning away, on the pretense of searching for a spoon) Uhhhh....you do?

Jarrah: I think he's handsome.

Sam: Good lord. I need some coffee.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I'm the judge, your verdict is guilty of being hilarious. Love it.

Logical Libby said...

At least it wasn't a picture of a man peeing.

The Wades said...

Giggling here too! That girl speaks her mind. That is good stuff.

Love how the pist flew right out of your mouth. Oh, and impressed that you go around using "ilk" in a sentence. I might have to give it a whirl one time in the next couple days.

katydidnot said...

I need coffee too.

What? That wasn't what this post was about?

Was he? Handsome?

DrSpouse said...

Congratulations, it's a girl!

(I've tagged you in a meme - don't know if you've done it yet

http://drspouse.blogspot.com/2010/04/meme.html)

Mrs. Chapman's 2nd Grade Class said...

Hahaha! Why would I judge? It's hillarious! Your daughter likes to look at naked men. I see nothing wrong with that!

Anonymous said...

Please post a picture of the book cover so we can all decided if we need to judge you or not.

:)

xoxox,
Tee