Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Off My Head

Have you ever had a flu where you felt like you'd been lobotomized? Not only was I narcoleptic and sore and stuffed up, but my head was like a great big pre-global warming glacier, and no chunks were falling into the sea. For two weeks I walked around with my great big ol' block head, with a great roaring in my ears. Since I couldn't breathe through my nose or my mouth, I spent several nights in a chair, which as restful experiences go, is decidedly not.

My mother thinks I've been sick an absurd amount since becoming a mom, and I don't disagree. But a lot of people have told me that the first few years of parenthood are fraught with cooties. Do any of you find that to be true? I used to get sick once a year, if that. Now I'm sick every couple months.

It's been hard coming back to the blog, because when I try thinking of things the way I used to in March, it's like I've had some major head trauma because I can't remember anything. It makes me feel very helpless.

This week, David has been away at NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) in Vegas, and for the first time, Jarrah is taking it incredibly hard that he's gone. The first night, we had dinner at a friend's house, and at a certain point she just started blubbering "I'm tired! I want my daddy!" Over the last few days, she has broken down several times without warning, calling out for him. Usually, she is incredibly adaptable, and can't get enough of new people and situations. But suddenly, she's fragile, craving the familiar. It's like she got knocked off balance and became some other child.

It's not that I'm not sympathetic, but having been through a vulnerable time myself, I'm having a curious reaction at these moments: it takes all my strength not to get down on the floor and wail for David to come home, too. I'm so much better this week--less tired, much less deaf--but somehow it was just too soon to be alone in the big bed. Adding an inconsolable 3-year-old to the mix pushes me over the edge. And yet I recognize that my job as a mommy is to stay focused on her needs in this situation, so I'm practically biting my fist and running into the other room to avoid letting her see my own anguish.

We've tried to stay busy and productive. We've lined up lots of play dates and dinners, I've managed to get her to school on time, do the grocery shopping and the laundry, keep the house in some sort of order. On the surface, we probably look okay. But at night we lie there across the hall from each other, and I can tell--because I'm not either--that she's not sleeping well. It kind of weirds me out, because I've spent most of my adult life living alone, and it's still new to be needed and need someone else quite so much, especially at the same time.

5 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

My husband spent two months working in Canada once. He worked for Home Depot--they make a stuffed "Homer" doll. My kids called it the daddy doll and took turns sleeping with it. It helped.

Just think how nice the reunion will be.

Anonymous said...

Oh my poor Miss Samantha! What a post! I am so sorry this flu hit you so hard and that you're both missing David so much. Wish I could come right over, bring you both cookies, and give you a hug!

I guess the flip side of this experience is a reminder of what a sweet family the three of you are--which you realize all the more when one of you is absent.

Sending you smooches--
Miss J

Anonymous said...

I got all teared up when I read this post. Hope you're all enjoying being together and well this weekend! xxx Lix

Marlene said...

My dear sister,
Yes, it is normal to catch everything the child unceremoniously sneezes right into (and a half inch from) your face. I've had pneumonia this spring, bronchitis twice, and they think I may have pneumonia again. I've been pumped so full x-rays and antibiotics that my skin has a slightly unearthly glow, like I'm an alien. It's totally normal to get sick a lot. And it's also very, very hard.

Even when you're sick and despairing, it (usually) waits until the needs of the child are met. Gone are the days when you can crawl into bed and weep because you feel badly for yourself--which really is terrifically unfair. I don't think that's selfish; sometimes we need that catharsis. You could calmly tell Jarrah how much you miss David too, so the two of you can commiserate. She's probably the one who understands best how you're feeling.

I spent the first four years of Jacob's life at home alone with all his needs. Even when I was barfing, he felt entirely comfortable demanding pancakes and a cup of orange juice, which would also make me barf.

Times change, though. Jacob actually came up to me this year and said, "Gee Mommy, I'm sorry you're so sick; I love you, and I don't want you to feel like this." And then, someday, they have kids of their own and realize what you've done for them and appreciate it all the more, like I did with my mom.

And they stop sneezing in your face so much.

I wish I could be there to take care of you and play with your lovely girl, so you could crawl into bed and honor your own needs. How about calling a babysitter, so you can do that for an hour or two? You deserve it.

Love you,
M

Mary said...

Love that last paragraph.

Paul will be in D.C. soon for six days and I always miss him so much. I miss him even more when I am the sole parent in charge.

I feel for you with the colds, etc. I was sick a lot the first few years of teaching. Things got better and then along came Joy, which brought up a whole new batch of germs!

All I can say is that I buy Purell by the gallon!

oxox

Mary