Monday, April 28, 2008

Adoralicious

Just walked into my kitchen, where the first thing I noticed was my nostrils being assailed by the plasticky stench of Hershey's Mega Lipsmacker. That can't be good, I thought. Then I saw a little person holding the aforementioned Smacker in her grimy little mitt. The top looked like chocolate cottage cheese. The next thing I noticed was a special coating on the lid of the trash can--a waterproof layer of Eau de Faux Chocolat. As my eyes darted around, they encountered much more chocolatey specialness--across the walls, over the fridge door, and--most innovatively--coating the fronts AND backs of our plastic magnetized photo frames.

"What happened here?" I asked Jarrah.

She didn't hesitate.

"It was an accident."

*****************

Jarrah likes me to give physicals to her stuffed animals. I've examined Leo the Lion, T.Rex Brown and Piglet in recent days. She brings them to me, along with her doctor kit, and tells me that she thinks they need to go to the hospital. Unfortunately, I'm very good at these check-ups, so I have to do them often. A couple nights ago, Piglet appeared next to my computer, in need of some urgent care. Jarrah solemnly handed me the stethoscope and stood at a respectful distance.

"So, Piglet, what seems to be the trouble?" I asked, listening to his heart.

"Mommy," said Jarrah, placing a hand on my arm so she could break it to me gently.
"He's a toy, so he doesn't talk."


***************

A few weeks ago, I was slathering Jarrah with lotion after her bath (she has extremely dry skin, and requires a good greasing after any contact with water) when the Eucerin fell over. It was no big deal; it's in a pump bottle; I didn't even bother to pick it up, engaged as I was with slathering her back.

"Dammock," whispered Jarrah.

"What did you say?" I asked. I couldn't have heard that right.

"Dammock," she said again, very quietly.

"What is 'dammock'?" I asked. Do. Not. Laugh. Do. Not. Laugh. Do. Not. Laugh.

"You know, it's word you say when thing-o falls over."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these Jarrah stories!! I'm not looking forward to story #1 happening around here, and story #3 has happened in various forms already. She probably said it with just the right emphasis and inflection, right?

Karol

Samantha said...

@Karol: Isn't it the most hilarious thing when they do that??? And I swore #1 would never happen to us. Now it's happened several times already.

@Cheri: Totally cracking up here. You saucy thing. ;) And poop! Oy, that's all I need. I see enough poop already.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam!

I feel your pain and I almost split my gut laughing at your stories. I once "waxed" my mom's entire kitchen and living room with Crisco. It made everything shiny! And slippery. Apparently my dad caught some serious air when he hit the linoleum kitchen floor. So far Jared has only desecrated the house with washable markers - but I can't wait to see what he has in store next.

As for the language - I find it almost impossible not to laugh when those things happen. It makes things worse but I can't help it.

I miss you lots and hope I get to see you soon. Say hi to Jarrah and David. And please send pain au faux chocolat....it sounds yummy!

xoxox,

Robyn

Anonymous said...

My favorite -- Jarrah stories. :) Thanks for another fantastic post! xxx Lix

Smitten Knitten said...

Ah, the decorating phase ;). I very clearly remember the day the Yea-Yea 'painted' the bathroom walls with sparkley Sponge Bob toothpaste. It was a beautiful and sticky new blue wainscoting all the way around the room.

Anonymous said...

Dammock! That is my favorite new word and I plan to use it often.

Loved these stories, Miss S!

Love,
Miss J

The Wades said...

I'm also loving 'dammock.' great word. it's right up there w/ strategery.

my two year old EATS chapstick ALL THE TIME! it must be something he's lacking in his diet.

btw, i cannot get the work 'agog' out of my head since you wrote that in a comment on my blog. LOVE that word! I'm adding it to my list of faves! Who uses agog? Brillant! :)

The Wades said...

brilliant, not brillant. nervous now that i know you used to proofread!

Jennifer said...

Love this post! You gotta hand it to her....she used "dammock" correctly! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the "dammock!"

I of course never get to use any kind of profanity in my classroom, unless you count "Oh my goodness!"

But, unfortunately, it does come out at home!

If only we could put asterisks in our speech and still get the f**cking point across!

oxox,

Mary

Anonymous said...

Gol Dammock!!!! I've dropped my good humor on the floor & it's split into a gazillion pieces.

xoxox,
Tee