Saturday, September 23, 2006

Swish-Swish

We are having a laundry crisis. About six months ago, we noticed that our washer had started making a noise like a rocket getting ready to launch out of our laundry room. It was so loud we couldn't hear the TV over it. We adapted by not running the washer while watching TV.

Then about three weeks ago, certain loads of laundry started coming out with black stripes and patterns of small dots all over them. The stripes and dots were comprised of something like crude petroleum, or at least some substance that was impossible to remove. So we had to choose between dirty clothes we could imagine wearing someday and clean clothes that had to go straight into the garbage.

We called an appliance repair company. Jason came out to "diagnose" our washer. In my naivete, I thought he was there to fix it. But no. He opened and shut the door a few times and announced, "Yep. It's pretty screwed up. I need to collect $55."

"That's it?" I said.

"Welp, you need a new bearing. And maybe a new basket. Someone will call you. In the mean time, feel free to keep using it. Don't be afraid of the loud noise."

"We're not afraid of the loud noise. We're afraid of the way it destroys our clothing."

"Ahhhh. I forgot."

Someone finally called us four days later to break the news. We were looking at a "two-man job" and ordering a part from Bangladesh and it would be "3-4 weeks" until it arrived.

I've started having nightmares about mountains of laundry breaking through our closet doors. Only now, instead of just seeing piles of David's jeans and t-shirts and sweaty wads of my workout clothes, I see hundreds of teeny, tiny socks and footie pajamas. When we moved into our own house, it was obvious to both of us that one of the major benefits of leaving our apartment would be having our own washer and dryer. In fact, these items were going to change our lifestyle considerably. We were also certain that owning a washer and dryer would be essential to childrearing. We have not wavered in these impressions in the past year and a half.

Now I've been Googling laundromats in our zip code and coming up with very few leads. Apparently other people in our neighborhood also enjoy washing their clothing in the privacy of their own home. I've also been suds-ing small batches of items in the kitchen sink, wringing them out, and tossing them in the dryer. Sometimes while I'm vigorously wringing I like to fantasize that I'm back in colonial times, or at the very least, a cast member on the PBS miniseries "Colonial House." I am bravely clothing my family as in olden days, scrubbing our garments on a rock by the river.

But if the dishwasher goes next, I'm not getting out of bed.

8 comments:

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

I haven't had a washer or dryer for over a decade.

At this point, I'd wear grease stained clothes if it meant I had one!

Just kidding. This sucks Sam. I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome to use ours!
Best, Gail

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry! It is such a pain. I agree that having a washer and dryer is part of childrearing. We went to a lot of trouble and expense to have our little two-in-one put in. You can come up and use it anytime!

XOXO,

Mary

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened right after we moved into our house! Everything I put in the washer came out dirtier than when I put it in, covered in a gritty sand-like substance. The drier just stopped working altogether. We had to buy a brand new one. Expensive, but it's something that you just don't want to go without! Liz

Anonymous said...

"We adapted by not running the washer while watching TV."

Ha! Sounds like my way of thinking.

Sorry you're in appliance hell. I hope Jason comes through for you soon! (And I'm home on Tuesday if you want to wash clothes and hang out - we could even go really crazy and watch TV at the same time.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam!

Please feel free to bring a few loads of laundry over with Jarrah for a playdate! I didn't put two and two together today: no washer=no clean laundry in the Goldstein-Newman household.

We are free this Wednesday afternoon!

Talk to you soon!

Lisa :-)
xxxooo

T. said...

I HATE DOING LAUNDRY. Take your clothes to the fluff and fold! I spent 2 grand on a great new front loading washer/dryer thinking that if I can wash 17 pairs of jeans at a time it would greatly cut down on my laundry time...and I can't make myself use it. I still have the same big pile I always have...Splurge and let some one do it for you!
I think it's worth it. You've probably got better things to do anyway.

Anonymous said...

Our machine was also preparing for liftoff. Fortunately, Sears has a really good deal - they will take away your old machine for $0.01 .... they throw in the new machine for a just a little extra beyond that.