Friday, June 06, 2008

Shalom

Today was Jarrah's last day of school. It was even more bathetic than I thought it would be. Luckily, it was sweltering in the cheap seats, so I could pass off the tears that squeezed from under my sunglasses as sweat.

Jarrah's in the youngest class, and they sang first. They sang "I'm a Little Teapot," "Zum Gali Gali," and "If You're Happy and You Know It." The latter was the cutest, because they had little gestures to go along with the different emotions--"If you're grumpy and you know it," for instance, was accompanied by a big "Raaaaarrrr!" Jarrah was awesome at raaaarrr-ing, which will be no surprise to anyone who's met her.

I don't know why, but I was pretty much a wreck throughout, even when my own child wasn't on stage. The program opened with an impressionistic modern piece danced by the oldest class (4-5 year-olds) and just watching them flap their little wings in unison had me sobbing. I wondered aloud to David that maybe I always cry--without exception--when I watch small children dance because I wanted to dance as a child but didn't get any lessons. But then I mentioned this to Melissa at lunch, and what she said had fewer words but made more sense: it's moving to watch a preschool pageant and realize we're there because we're parents of preschoolers--as she put it, that we've reached a place in our lives where this is our reality. Nice, huh? I think that feels right.

Jarrah looked beautiful in her yellow dress (a gift from her Grandma) and we snagged some pics with her teachers (see previous post) and the preschool director, Judy, the woman who is famed for saying "Not a problem!" when you most hope she will. It was a beautiful morning, and afterwards we went to lunch, which was fun until Jarrah started wailing ceaselessly--I think she had too much sun.

Now we have two weeks totally free until camp starts--if you're reading this and you're local, give us a shout: we'd love to have a playdate!

Click on this video to see Jarrah and her class sing "If You're Happy and You Know It."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Mel hit the nail on the head. I also like to think there's a smidge of pride and love in the tears too.

Congrats, mama (and papa). She's doing great!

Samantha said...

@Martha: What is this "pride" and "love" you speak of? These are words not known to me or my people. ;)

Melissa said...

It was a beautiful day. I don't think I can put my words any better than you and Martha just
did. :-)

Mary said...

What a coincidence that Joy and Jarrah had their presentations on the same day! And, Joy wore a very similar dress!

The photos and video are darling. I hope someday to learn how to do video on Blogger.

We are free the week after this one. See you soon, I hope!

oxox,

Mary

The Wades said...

I know I'm biased, and Jarrah's clearly my favorite in the class, but I think she stole the show! :) She is one beautiful little girl!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to little J. What a milestone! Loving the account of your trip, too.

xo
Miss J

suebdo said...

Happy Graduation! I totally understand your verklemptness ... its moving, and we recall our own graduation moments (not that long in our mental past). Jarrah is a performer! I love how the little adorable stoic boy next to her mustered some enthusiasm for the "grumpy" roar. See the future ;) XO SueB

Anonymous said...

Can I just add that Jarrah is a total ham?

(Wonder where she gets it?)

;-)

The Wades said...

Just wanted you to know my friend Lisa and I are eagerly awaiting your next post. (no hurry--we'll keep checking back several times a day in hopes of the next great masterpiece.)

I wanted you to know how much mileage we're getting on the "stone cold fox" comment you left on my blog. So so funny! Max is now referring to himself as that. Lisa says it to him all the time, too. Max said, "I really like that Sam girl. She has such good taste!"

Anonymous said...

Love the video! Jarrah is so tall, poised, gorgeous and chic. I think I see a future in entertainment!
Laura