Tuesday, November 04, 2008

This Great Nation of Ours

Conversation in the car this afternoon:

Me: See my sticker? That says I voted.

Jarrah: I want one.

Me: Well, you have to vote to get one. And be 18.

Jarrah: We talked about that in school.

Me (excited): You did? You talked about the election?

Jarrah: Yeah. We learned you can vote for broccoli.

Me: Broccoli? What were the other vegetable choices?

Jarrah: (embarrassed expression) Oh. And John McCone.

Me: Ohhhhh! (cracks up) Broccoli! You mean Barack Obama?

Jarrah: Yeah. Barackabama.

13 comments:

DrSpouse said...

I'm sure cabbages would be better leaders than some of the options!

Jennifer said...

That is great that they talk about that at such a young age!! How cute!

Laural Out Loud said...

I love how she associated both options with food, lol.

Samantha said...

@Mamasphere: I noticed that, too! And it didn't surprise me a bit. ;)

Melissa said...

Jarrah is going to be a great political analyst someday. :-)

Caroline said...

Well, that explains why George Bush, Sr. was so averse to the stuff (broccoli, that is). ;)

Samantha said...

@Caroline: HA! I forgot about that! :)

erin said...

My five year old Olivia was drawing at the dining room table and I was in the kitchen. She yells at me, "We had to vote for either licorice or lollipops today at school. I voted for Brock Bama." I had her call my mom and repeat that. Even though I have no idea what she's talking about with the candy. So funny.

Anonymous said...

haha! I love that! so cute!

Anonymous said...

Nathan had a mock election at school today where they voted to wear blue or red shirts on Thursday. They even got "I voted" stickers! In a much closer race than what is currently going down, the blue shirts took it!

When I turned on the news this evening he exclaimed, "Oh, there's Obama!"

What a day!

xoxo
s

LunaMoonbeam said...

I'm sure Jarrah will be THRILLED to know we now have President Broccoli!

The Wades said...

cute baby! :)

Anonymous said...

Love it! :) Lix