Monday, January 15, 2007

Happy New Year

January is off and running like a fleet-footed gazelle, and I am panting after the herd trying to catch up. Thus, the dearth of recent bloggable moments. I know I've overlooked a doot-doot trip (or three) in there somewhere.

In the biggest news, we had Jarrah's official 2nd birthday party, and it was a gala event. I succumbed to last-minute "Harridan Syndrome" but with David and Mary's help, I pulled out of it in enough time to enjoy myself. See photos for proof that the guest of honor was quite the celebrant, too. We were lucky with the brisk, sunny day and nimble assistance of Suzie and Tiffany at the YMCA, who plied the birthday girl and her friends with balloons, bubbles and parachute time. I flatter myself that even the adults enjoyed themselves, since a crowd lingered right up to the end. For two weeks preceding I had been rueing my decision to host such a large affair, but success has thoroughly brain-washed me into believing we can pull it off every year.

In other news, Jarrah continues to adore preschool, and though she herself remains mum on the subject of her days, I get reports from her teachers, who are still enthusiastic about our girl but have modified their praise with even-handed comments like "Jarrah is certainly a strong-willed little girl" and "We're having some issues with sharing." But Jarrah meets me at the door each time with a huge smile and lots of art projects, so I feel absolutely confident we made the right choice. Hey, the uninterrupted cup of coffee in the deafeningly silent house on those mornings doesn't hurt, either.

In developmental news, Jarrah's 2nd birthday has coincided with what I believe is known as "language explosion," meaning she suddenly has a word for just about everything. Many of these new words, curiously, do not have endings, just beginnings. For instance, "yawn" is "yaw" and "please" is "pee." My favorite, just because it's cute, is when she wants you to open a package and commands what sounds like "OH-boo-duh." Almost like "open up," but that doesn't quite make sense in context.

And speaking of commands, our house is now command central. She greets us from the crib in the morning with "Up!" or "Out!" She goes to bed with "Book!" She indicates readiness to leave in the morning with "Buh-bye!" or "Dar!" (aka "car.") She points out the salient features of the world with "Look!" (more like "Luke!") She eschews the stroller with "Walk!" Of course, there's always been "More!" but now it's the word instead of the sign. That goes along with "Snack!" or "Drink!" And now that there's no guesswork, we're expected to look sharp, too.

Also, does anyone have any advice about a sprinter? Jarrah is wickedly spry, and often chooses the times when I'm laden with bags and packages to flee the premises at a roadrunner-like pace. All my "come backs!" and "it's not safe!" fall on deaf ears, and when I finally catch her, heart pounding, head raging, I can grab her arms, get down on her level, look into her eyes, and say in my scariest voice (by the way, I do not speak hypothetically--this is what I've been doing) "Don't EVER run away from Mommy--do you understand? It's not safe!" and this has no discernable effect whatsoever. She doesn't even acknowledge that I'm talking to her. Today I was hating myself after one of these incidents, which took place at the zoo, with an audience of hundreds. What should I be doing? I'll confess I want very much to smack her at these moments, out of both frustration and terror.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was beginning to get worried about you...you are such a dedicated blogger! Well, Happy Birthday party to Jarrah, and it looks like your threw a wonderful affair. I love hte middle picture of Jarrah eating the cupcake...she looks like she is trying to be so dainty and neat about it!
Glad you are back to blogging...I missed you and Jarrah!

Anonymous said...

Sam, the picture of you, David, and Jarrah made me cry. Truly it did. After all you went through to get to such a joyous moment! Oh. Just a wonderful picture.

Happy B-day again to the little miss!

Love,
Miss J

Anonymous said...

"Jarrah is certainly a strong- willed little girl." Ah, yes.

What to do when she runs is say a simple loud: "Jarrah, NO!"
She'll understand - don't know whether it'll make any difference!

I second Miss J.

Best, Gail

Marlene said...

Dear Sam,

I spent the period from Jacob's first steps until he was about 3.5 bent over, arms outstretched, running. I couldn't have anything in my hands unless he was strapped in (to a shopping cart or car seat). He was forever darting off and often into dangerous situations. A few times, he ran right into the street. He broke his two front teeth running from me and falling into the hearth of the fireplace. I did my share of barking. I cajoled; I offered a reward system; I had freak outs. Nothing worked. I didn't fix anything, but it did get better over time. It was really just that he started to grow out of it as he developed a better sense of caution.

Jarrah may be able to take lessons on this matter, but with me and Jacob it was just time. To maintain my sanity, I had to resign myself to the fact that there were some things I could control and some things I couldn't and just do my best and try to not beat myself up or tie Jacob to a tree. That was scary, but--for me--that was a big parenting lesson. There's only so much you can do to protect them, and all you can do is your best.

I feel your pain, sister. I have SO been there. Now, that's gotten much easier and there are different things to deal with. Ah, motherhood.

If it's any consolation, you look glorious in those pictures and she is completely charming. I'm really happy that you all have one another.

XOXO,
M