Thursday, March 19, 2009

Question for the Sages

We've had friends visiting from Alabama this past week, so I haven't had a moment to blog. I'll write something more substantial in the next couple of days, but in the mean time, a quickie:

We live near a major highway that is fronted with malls, and one of them has a sort of Jump-Jump World in its parking lot. I'm talkin' serious jump-jumps. One is shaped like the Titanic. In the act of sinking. The kids can gaze longingly at the massive inflatables from their car seat perches as they whiz past and start working you for a visit. And they do.

I am nothing if not generous, so I did do the research. Turns out the place costs like $20 to enter, and then they charge another $10 for the parent who is just standing there! Not even jumping! That was crazy. And there's no shade. We could wait and jump at someone's birthday party, or at the farmers market, or someplace else we could do it for a couple bucks.

So here we are, driving down the freeway:

Jarrah: Mom! Look! Can we go there?

Sam: Nooooo....I'm sorry, honey.

Jarrah: Why NOT?

Sam: Because it costs like a million dollars.

Jarrah: How come the other parents can afford it?

10 comments:

Heather - The Wanna-be Super Mom said...

That is awesome!

LunaMoonbeam said...

"Because, honey, the other parents would rather jump than buy food to eat. They'll starve to death soon"

Or something like that ;-)

erin said...

I told Olivia, the recently annointed know it all, that she couldn't get a new bike for awhile because we had just bought Mario Party for her and her sisters. She says,super ticked off, "That doesn't make sense, we have lots of money...Jeremiah ran out of the house yesterday to get MILK Mom! MILK!"

DrSpouse said...

When I was about 7 my mother said I could choose a toy when she went to the store. I first asked for a colouring book, I think, and then said "if they don't have one, can I have a Sasha doll*?"

*I think these cost about 5-10GBP in the 1970s so you can imagine what that's equivalent to.

Samantha said...

Cheri, I am totally going to use that distinction! Thanks! Now about this baby I've got that two women are clamoring for...cut in half, or what? :)

Amanda said...

Told you that little one of your was to smart for her own good!!

haha...Jarrah cracks me up!

G-D said...

If they had called it a "Bouncy Castle" like you're supposed to, I would have said cough up the $30.

But for a "Jump Jump"? Ridiculous!

btw, I'm not impugning your parenting skills. I just would do anything, ANYTHING, for a Bouncy Castle!!

The Wades said...

Let the girl jump! ;)

dena said...

Sam- so glad you're back!

Now, how exactly did you respond to that kind of reasoning? She is one smart cookie, a quick on the draw too!

Anonymous said...

Why pay $30 when you could jump for free at Chik Fil A (near the Sports Arena)? From 5-7 on Tuesday nights, they have a free jumper, and free kid's meals, too. (OK,it's not so elaborate, but free is good.)

Sue B