Monday, October 01, 2007

Newsy

Usually I write posts with some kind of soaring arc to them, so I can hear the string section kick in towards the end. But today is Monday, and unlike the past two Mondays when I embarked on life-changing odysseys, today is just a regular ol' Monday (I hope.)

David's parents were visiting us for 10 days--staying in an amazing apartment downtown. That's how cool they are--people they meet on cruises to Mexico offer them their apartments when they're out of town. We had some shopping trips, some yummy meals, a visit to my parents in Orange County (where we accidentally walked several miles around Balboa Island and to the tip of Balboa Pier) and a trip to Julian to visit "apple world." We saw the band Hullabaloo perform at the Quail Botanical Gardens. We went to an art fair, where Jarrah got her face painted by a lovely woman who spent fully 15 minutes on her creation, during which Jarrah didn't move an eyelash. We met up with the Rupperts at the end of Yom Kippur; the photos on the rocks were taken at the end of the fast, shortly before it got dark and we got to break it at Red Robin!

David went to Seattle for a very long day and night, and Jarrah and I used the time to go shopping with Jessica and Yea-Yea for birthday gifties for our matching Libra husbands (who are also exactly the same age.) David was very pleased with his prezzies, since this year I made him fill out a form (aren't I romantic?) with very specific questions about his desires, and so for once he actually got what he wanted. One of those items was an iPod Nano, which is absurdly cute.

His actual birthday coincided with the annual FCC Moon Festival, which may be my favorite FCC event of the year, as it takes place at night under a full moon, involves hot chocolate, moon cakes (this year we had cupcakes for David) and features a "lantern parade" in which all the little cuties march around a big field holding paper lanterns with glow sticks inside. We didn't get to snuggle in blankets as much as I might have liked, since certain people were running hectares in order to terrorize some night-sniffing rabbits, but it was lovely anyway.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Particularly after that first set of photos, i'm thinkin' like momma like daughter...

Anonymous said...

Jarrah is getting so big. I really miss you guys. I hope to see you soon.

Love,

Robyn

Samantha said...

Robyn!

Are you visiting soon? Call me and let me know when and how we can see you!

S.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen a happier child than that J-Dust.

:)

xoxox,
Tee

Anonymous said...

And, by the way, what's more romantic than getting the one you love EXACTLY what he wants?!

xoxox,
Tee

Smitten Knitten said...

What great pictures, you guys had a fun couple of weeks. My matching husband will be getting his prezzie on Saturday, as long as Little Miss Spill the Beans can keep a lid on it until then :).

Hugs!

Jess & Yea-Yea

Mary said...

Those photos are great!

I just posted a similar blog, mostly photos!

XOXO

Mary