Monday, July 23, 2007

Stunk

After the crazy week of the 48 Hour Film Project (see the link to David's blog, if you speak geek, for why something two days long took a week) and the excitement of making the Best of San Diego screening, I was looking forward to a thrilling weekend of doing nothing whatsoever. Alas, it was not to be. Or rather, it was, but I could not enjoy it.

Reason number #2,076 why my life is weirder than other people's:

Saturday morning I sent David out to water the plants, and he returned in short order holding his camera. "We have a problem," he said, and showed me the screen. In it was an ordinary shot of our garden hose, or what would have been an ordinary shot if it didn't have a stripey skunk asleep in the middle of it. "Yikes!" I said. That was my useful contribution.

Before long, the skunk had waddled over to sleep near our trash cans. As the sun moved higher, the skunk moved to a shady spot--under my car. At this point, something seemed fishy (it did not yet seem skunky) because, aren't skunks nocturnal? "Maybe he's dehydrated," I hypothesized. "Maybe he's a tame skunk who has chosen us to be his family," I added dreamily. In the interest of fostering good relations, I put a paper plate of melon under the car--the internet said they like melon.

Hours later, the melon was untouched, and the skunk wasn't moving. David decided to squirt him just a little with the hose as an incentive to move on. He squirted, and the skunk just sat there, forlornly getting wet. "That skunk is not well," David said mournfully. He was quite upset. I've often felt that David has a special bond with animals and should probably have his own show on Animal Planet.

Animal Control is closed on the weekends. Project Wildlife said they don't deal with skunks. We weren't sure what to do. The afternoon crept on. Jarrah was a little too interested in the skunk. "He doesn't feel well, " I told her.

In late afternoon, we finall smelled it. Skunkiness. Thick, strong, everywhere. It filled the whole house. It didn't even occur to me then what it must smell like in my car. Under the car, the skunk appeared to be dancing. David said he was having seizures. That didn't sound good.

We went out and didn't come back until 10:30. The skunk was there, now sleeping next to a rose bush. I woke up in the middle of the night and Googled "skunk removal." There were a bunch of services you could pay to remove skunks. That was reassuring, though I wondered how much it was going to cost.

In the morning, David told me that he'd called one of the services. The man had said, "That skunk has distemper and is going to die. It's not our problem anymore." "Whose problem is it?" I wailed. The stink was still everywhere, and I was afraid to go outside because we might get distemper, whatever that is. "Let's call Jessica," I suggested suddenly. "She knows everything."

Jessica said to call 911. She said it was an emergency because the skunk presented a danger to ourselves and our neighbors. That certainly seemed true. I called them. The lady on the phone cut me off--not unkindly--after a few words. "This isn't a police emergency," she said. "Have you tried 24 Hour Emergency Animal Control?"

Is that a magic place, on the other side of a secret force field? I wanted to ask. Because this is the first we've heard of it. But instead I copied down the number. There was a satisfying "your call is being recorded" beeping sound while I explained our situation. "We'll send someone as soon as we can," she said. "Keep an eye on him."

Finally, about 11:30, two ladies in official uniforms came, and David joined them outside. I saw them peering at the skunk but didn't dare look beyond that. David came back in after about five minutes and said they had agreed about distemper, said our skunk was suffering and wasn't going to make it, and had euthanized him with an injection before taking him away. "Where skunk gone?" Jarrah wanted to know. "The ladies took him to the hospital," I said.

I opened my car door. The smell was uncanny. We vacuumed everything and sprayed every surface with Nature's Miracle. I went to the car wash, and the car came out sparkling. I opened the door afterwards, and if anything, the smell was worse. I went to the drug store, because throughout this escapade, I'd been gritting my teeth from the flood of histamines in my limbs caused by my allergy to mosquito bites--bites I sustained over a week ago during the film project. As I exited the store, the smell of skunk assailed my sinuses. I looked up, and my mouth dropped open in amazement. I was smelling my own car from across the parking lot. I sprayed a lot of Fresh Linen Febreze in there and went to do another errand. When I opened the door again, a cloud of Fresh Linen Skunk smacked me senseless.

By the time I got home, the smell was lodged deep in my frontal lobe. I resigned myself to either a) selling the car or b) slowly losing all my friends because I'll be known as That Girl Who Always Smells Like Skunk. We went to dinner and sat outside, where trucks revved their engines inches from our food, and a man at the next table sucked on a big cigar. "Bring it on, baby," I said to David. "If it's not skunk, you could shove it right up my nose right now and I'd love it."

The only thing that cheered me up last night was going to see Hairspray, which is chockoblock with groovy singing and dancing from the first frame, not to mention the fabu hairstyles and dresses. 'Course the main character, Tracy Turnblad, rocks a 'do with skunk stripes, but I tried not to think about that.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I thought the smell was mold from all the rain we've been getting here in Texas! There are few smells worse than concentrated skunk. Maybe rotting flesh. Don't ask. I'm sorry about your car. And your sinuses. We miss you guys like crazy! I'd still eat lunch with you - skunk smell and all. I typed a pretty long (well, long-ish) reply to your 48 hour festival post but somehow it didn't post and then it got lost. :( I'm sorry to hear that you didn't finish your film in time. You sounded really disappointed in your post. I hope David doesn't think I jinxed his computer with my talk of Jamey's residency video not synching correctly! I hope you are all well, if a little stinky, and I hope to see you when we get home in October for a few days.

Love,

Robyn

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

SO. After skunk, being a cologne head doesn't sound so bad, does it??

Seriously though, that suckity sucks. Invest in tomato juice.

And if you still stink at Halloween, you can always dress up as Pepe Le Pew

Anonymous said...

Dear Sammy,

I am sorry for all four of you, skunk included!

The fresh mountain air will clean your sinuses out this weekend!

OXOX,

Mary

p.s Jessica is smart!

Anonymous said...

Nope, no stinky skunk lady, we didn't even get a whiff of it yesterday on our fab outing yesterday ;-)!

Jennifer said...

I had to laugh just a little...only because this is a smell I know all too well. The night before my good friend and I left for college we were getting all our things packed into his car and the trailer we were toughing behind it. He lived out in the country a bit and the car was parked in the driveway. Imagine our surprise when we brought out last load out and saw a small striped creature lurking around the car. His dog saw the skunk about the same time and we were unable to grab him before he took off running and barking at the skunk. Well...you know what happened next. Right in the open door area of the car. It was a scene of shock for me....and the smell was 100 times worse than I had ever imagined. After we bathed the dog in tomatoe juice and sprayed lysol in the car (pre-febreeze days) we went to bed. It wasn't any better the next morning. So you can just imagine how much fun our drive to college was....from Michigan to Arkansas. We drove a large part of the way with our windows down. :) The smell will fade in time...but you will probably get a sense of it every now and then.

Jennifer said...

Wow! I should have proofread that! Towing...not toughing! ha

Marlene said...

Another day, another story. Keep on a-rockin', my sister. Thanks for the lovely record of the wedding week on the blog.

Now, about skunks and cars. Once, Jacob barfed all over the car. My colleague William said, "You're going to have to sell that car." It stunk to high heaven. I washed the car. I febreezed it. I lysoled it. It still stunk to high heaven. My mom shook her head and smiled with the air of the zen master. She handed me a bottle of a natural enzyme spray called X-[something] that totally eliminated the odor.

I hope you find a stink-free solution.
Miss you terrifically.
XO,
M

Anonymous said...

Why is it that your life has so many parallels to Seinfeld episodes at times?;)

Anonymous said...

Man, dont you hate skunks? We went camping once and when i woke up in the middle of the night to go whiz, i got sprayed by skunk mid-whiz and i had to go back and sleep in the tent. IT STUNK SO BADLY!!!!! I reeked of the skunk for days because we dint pack any odor eliminators or anything. It was horrible :(. P.S. Hes right, if u still smell like a skunk at halloween, you can go as Pepe Le Pew and prolly win some sort of award.