Monday, April 30, 2007

It's a Small World After All

On Sunday I taught Family Nia, which is something I do each time a month has a fifth Sunday (about four times a year, for those of you keeping score at home.)

This time was special, though, because it was the first time Jarrah came to class. David brought her, and we worked out a contingency plan in advance in case she decided to spend the hour hugging my legs and shouting "Mommy! Picka up!" In the event of this outcome, David was to take her across the street to the park. Should that not suffice, he was to walk her to the nearby mini-mall for a smoothie. I figured that about covered it.

In honor of the occasion, and because ever since I've had a toddler it's become clear that toddlers aren't ever going to "get" my choreography to Madeleine Peyroux and the theme from Les Triplettes des Belleville, I added some Wiggles songs, plus two other numbers that it suddenly occurs to me are both about fruit.

As it happens, I needn't have been concerned, because we also had a secret weapon. Jessica came to class for the first time, and she brought Yea-Yea. After that, it didn't matter what I did or didn't do, because Jarrah and Yea-Yea just wanted to sprint around the room and admire themselves in the mirrors. And that was just fine with me!

Just before I started up the music and called the class to order (a relative term here) Yea-Yea made some introductions.

"This is Jarrah," she told the others. "She's going to be my sister someday."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was as surprised as anyone that Yea-Yea has entirely given up on us providing her with a sibling and has decided to take matters into her own hands ;-).

Anonymous said...

so cute! lix