Wednesday, May 11, 2011

That Darling Month

Jarrah is a bit sick today. I say "a bit" because I'm not sure what's wrong with her, but she haunted the school nurse yesterday until said nurse got sick of her and sent her home. Thankfully, David picked her up because I was at school at the time, and it's my second-to-last week before the final.

In keeping with tradition, we might go see a movie this morning. Probably African Cats. I hope there's not too much carnage. Five-ish years with Jarrah have taught me she's only hideously sick if a) she's refusing all food and b) she's listless. Since she ate a cheese omelet in four bites and is currently watching TV from the shoulder stand pose, I'm thinking it's not so bad. Still, a mother worries.

I can't believe kindergarten is almost over. Swirls of e-mails circulate with ideas for thank-you-teacher art projects and end-of-year soirees. Makes me a bit sad. But I feel like Jarrah got a lot out of kindergarten and is definitely ready for first grade. Though that sounds very old.

This past weekend we attended Spring Fling, a big fundraiser for Jarrah's school. I was a little disappointed there were no Midway rides, but the dance party was fun and appropriately sweaty, even though Jarrah fell backwards off some risers while demonstrating her "moves." A few bruises, but as she told David: "It really hurts, but I won't let it stop me from dancing!"

Sunday was Mother's Day, but my poor mum is recovering from hip surgery, so we visited her in the OC. Turns out it was an inopportune time for a visit, as she was feeling very ill, but the rest of us (sorry, Mom!) enjoyed ourselves just sitting around talking, eating fancy salads out of plastic containers (dinner courtesy of our gourmet supermarket) and conducting a tasting of a Sprinkles cupcakes (I came down squarely on the side of the lemon cream and the chocolate coconut, and I wouldn't throw the vanilla-vanilla out of bed. "Ooooh, you can taste the real vanilla!" I exulted to Jarrah, to which she replied in matching tones of rapture, "Oooooh! I have no idea what you're talking about, but it's soooo good!")

I got to change Baby Lilah's diaper for the first time while my sis was out for a run, which was a real thrill. You might be thinking that I've had lots of practice, but it was my first time changing a baby that doesn't actively help. For instance, I would position her little foot near the opening of the pants, and like a magic act, bing! The foot was gone. That was new. Thirteen-month-olds don't do that.

Here's Jarrah holding Lilah for the first time. She looks like a little doll, doesn't she? I've never seen a newborn with so much hair!

In other news, I'm working on my last two monologues for my acting class--Mistress Page from The Merry Wives of Windsor, and Lady Bracknell from The Importance of Being Earnest. Both are fun, which is nice after a semester of serious scenes. And I started my stand-up comedy class this week! I'm very excited about it and took scads of notes--the professor is funny and smart (he's a comic, of course) and I can tell we're all going to bond very quickly. The one bit I didn't like was the end, where he said he's excited because there are a bunch of women in the class "who might not all talk about the same thing." I bristled and drew myself up to my full, towering five-foot-four. "Oh, because all women are the same, so they have to talk about the same things?" I said in my dangerous voice. "Sorry, but it's totally true," he said cheerfully. Whatever. We'll see about that. My first bit is going to be about my years as a Harley mechanic.

This coming weekend is Beef Fest the Sixth! I'm ridiculously excited. For the uninitiated among you (and really, are there any these days?) Beef Fest is a neighborhood fair lasting two days. This year, for the first time, Jarrah has the option of marching in the adorable parade, since her school has a float led by the principal. I have a suspicion she's not going to want to give up her prime curbside perch, the better for catching all the candy hurled from floats.

It's going to be a busy, fun weekend, what with Beef Fest, the annual Kite Festival, and my third performance with the chamber music concert series. But this morning, I'm a trifle melancholy. Make me laugh, will you, Dear Readers?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful picture!

Logical Libby said...

Stand up comedy class? You are BRAVE!

And Jarrah is a charming young lady.

Laural Out Loud said...

I can't believe I'm reading this on Sunday afternoon, AFTER the kite festival! I always forget it's coming and miss it. If only I'd read your post sooner!

Mason is 16 months old and has finally started helping me put arms and legs into his clothes. Before, it was like trying to catch a slippery fish!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Stephanie said...

Remember when J expressed a less than compassionate response to a homeless person? Well count yourself lucky my friend, N was recently having the familiar conversation of what he wants to be when he grows up. First he mentioned being a Shamu Trainer, or maybe a Veternarian--after a little more thought he decided it would be a lot easier to "just get a sign and ask people to help me with my life."

Could you ask J to have a talk with him please?

Mary said...

Two beautiful cousins! What cuties!