Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Road Not Taken

Today we ushered in a new era. Like my dramatic flair? Thank you.

In my first year of parenthood, a day without a play date was cause for deep, abject terror (mine.) The hours stretched endlessly toward 6:30 (David's absurdly late arrival time) mitigated all-too-briefly with the precious nap. The rest of the day, I was either chasing around a playground at a speed for which I probably needed cocaine rather than my usual poison of soda and licorice, or curled up in a ball in the corner, keening. Or furtively stuffing crackers in my mouth when a certain person wasn't looking (I didn't get many crackers.) When I blogged about the 4:00 "witching hour" (or two or three) someone suggested wine, but I would have ended up having to share it. On those nights, I often met David at the door with the command, "Don't even say hello; take her outside for 10 minutes and don't ask any questions."

Those days, thank heavens, have passed. But today, Dear Readers, I tried something totally wild and crazy never attempted before, and now I think I must have been in a state of mild hypothermia or some other condition that causes the slowing of brain function (oh, I just realized what that would be) to have waited so long.

I went to the gym. Yeah, you read that right. And no, this wasn't my first time at the gym since Jarrah--I work at the gym, remember? But this time was different because I took Jarrah with me.

And I walked through the big double doors marked "Kids Place."
And I filled out a form.
And I handed the nice girls my diaper bag.
And I said "Bye, see you soon!" to Jarrah's receding back.
And I walked back out into the quiet hallway.
And I thought: AM I A TOTAL MORON?

That's the only conclusion I can draw, because I spent the next two hours engaged as follows:

--watching the news on the elliptical
--lifting weights (sorta)
--walking briskly on the treadmill with a view of trees while watching E!
--lollygagging through some yoga stretches
--taking a long, hot, uninterrupted shower

AND...

--doing it all FOR FREE. That's right, F-R-E-E. The mind reels. But apparently, my status as "staff" qualifies me for two hours of free childcare ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

And they serve snacks on the hour.

When I picked up Jarrah (blissed out, with wet hair) they told me she'd been an angel, and she told me she'd been on a pirate ship at her "new preschool."

"And how would you feel about going to the new preschool again sometime soon?" I asked, attempting to mask the urgency with which I anticipated her reply.

"Sure, Mommy."

Sweet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. Maddie screamed her fool head off when I attempted this experiment...and I attempted it many times. Maybe it's time to try again. It's just the best sanity-saver deal in town.

Karol

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

My daughter enjoys the "gymp" too. It's almost embarrassing how much she asks me to go. When we ask her what she does there, she says "I ess-ersize!"

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I am glad she likes it there. I will admit to putting this on hold with Joshua, when he was younger, for much longer than I should have. It's a big deal! Congratulations!

~Robyn

Anonymous said...

ROCK ON! That sounds like a great beginning. Good for you. xxx lix

Anonymous said...

Oh, yay! GOOD for you!

Miss J

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...

That is stange because we took Joy to our gym last Saturday and she also loved it!

XOXO

Mary