Friday, October 06, 2006

The Wonder Down Under

Here's a post for my Australian friends (and for those of you who recently joined the party, that's where Jarrah's family on her, um, paternal side lives):

Jarrah is a massive fan of the Wiggles. The four Australian men in their colorful jerseys pick flowers, knead dough, talk to the squirrels in Central Park, and can do no wrong in Jarrah's eyes. She was recently thrilled to receive a Wiggles DVD from her Nanna and Granddad that arrived in their Sunday paper--such is the ubiquity of the quartet on that continent and every other! She can mimic every move of "Rock-a-Bye Your Bear," their first hit, including the vigorous shushing at the end. Recently she's begun miming a steering wheel with great urgency to indicate that she wants me to sing "Toot-Toot, Chugga-Chugga, Big Red Car" for her. She feels this great urgency about 50 times a day, Readers.

Today we were watching a regular segment called "Dance with Dorothy the Dinosaur." Two of the Wiggles's "friends" help Dorothy demonstrate a different dance each show. We've seen "The Airplane," "The Clean-Up," and "The Cha-Cha-Cha." Normally she watches this segment with vague impatience because there are no bonafide Wiggles in it. But not today. Today's dance was "The Kangaroo."

A young man and woman demonstrated three things that kangaroos like to do: hop around, pick grass and nibble it, and scratch themselves behind the ears. Without any warning, Jarrah hunkered down in position and began hopping bouncily around the room. I was just about to say, "Wow! Good kangaroo!" when she plucked some grass and nibbled it from her paw in a precise imitation of the show. Next she used that paw to scratch herself behind the ear a couple times. Lather, rinse, repeat. I was hysterically impressed, stunned by how much she resembled a kangaroo. She hopped over to me and offered me some grass, smacking her lips with freakish cuteness. Then she used her paw to scratch me behind the ear.

When I visited Australia in 2002, I got to meet some kangaroos up close and personal when we visited David's Aunt Cheryl and Uncle David down south at Kingtree Lodge (hi! :)) We fed them some apple and even got to pet them. The little ones had long, lush, horse-like lashes, a bit like Jarrah, as a matter of fact. Hmmmm.

I can't wait for Jarrah to meet some real kangaroos. Though hopefully they won't mind if Jarrah eats all the apple.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of all your posts, I can't believe this is one without any pictures! Can't wait to see the kangaroo imitation myself!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes kids are just SOOOOO cute! :)
Best, Gail

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

I have deflty avoided letting my daughter watch the Wiggles. I'm sure she would just LURVE them. I can't. I just can't.

A stupid relativ bought her a Wiggles guitar last Christmas, and the first button she pushed made them sing somrthing about yummy yummy fruit salad. I freaked and ran away screaming like a wee girl (with ringlets!)

I will admit that I sometimes sing "Wake Up Jeff! Everybody's wigglin" Which plays when you press Jeff's head.

Samantha said...

Hi Type,

Hee hee, I was also frightened by the fruit salad (yummy yummy!) the first couple times, and then my reprogramming was completed and now I crave it. ;)

I just gave in and went quietly. ;)

Alleen said...

Oh, I'm picturing it - adorable!

Unknown said...

I think that The Wiggles are at the Coors Amphitheatre on November 4. :)

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, OI, OI, OI... We are everywhere... I am an Aussie living in FL... 6 month LID... As for the 'Wiggles', I saw them in concert a few years ago as I took my niece. Let me tell you that they are GREAT, I think that I had more fun then my niece did... hahaha... I will make sure that Shauna gets to know of them. To think that before they were the 'Wiggles', 2 of them were in a Pop Band in the 80's... Take care... Felicity
http://flissandmikeadventures.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hello Sam, David and Jarrah

Aunt Cheryl and Uncle David send our best wishes. I sit here surrounded on three sides by a Jarrah Forest and at my feet is an orphaned joey. Her name is Bubbles and I will send a photograph of her via your email. She is tiny and about six months old. She is almost fully furred....her tail is still naked.We hope she will survive and so far she is doing well. We rescued her two+ weeks ago. I hope Jarrah likes the photo. We will send more to our little great niece( is this an oxymoron? ). Have a wiggly, wiggly time Jarrah and don't forget to wake up Jeff!